Monday 17 November 2014

COLOUR


For my minor project in my final year of BA (HONS) Photography I am going to study the use of colour within Portraiture. I came to this decision whilst researching various photographers that inspire me such as Nan Goldin and John Rankin – as their work is constantly exaggerating the use of colour as well as the beauty of it. Although both of the above photographers have two distinct different styles as Nan Goldin works with a film camera and Rankin working mainly within a studio, they both really highlight the use of colour within a photography which has allowed me as a viewer to look at their images in a more dynamic way as I personally think and feel in colour.
I intend to create various portraits using different colour gels within a professional photography studio. As my minor project it is essential that I use the correct colour with different models as colours that clash cause confusion to the viewer which will ultimately result in a poor images- also this will create multiple focal points to the image and distract the viewer from the model within the photograph and my intention is for my final images to be ascetically pleasing to the eye.
I also need to be aware of the dominant colours within the image as the secondary subject (the model in this case) could overshadow the main focus point which the use of colour.
I decided that working within a studio will create the best outcome for my intentions as I will be able to view my images immediately on screen after taking them- I feel it will be easier in terms of changing the colour gels and seeing which colours create the best results depending on the different models I use immediately after shooting.
I intend to use the Hasselblad camera with a digital back as it is probably preferred camera to use as I feel really comfortable working as well as thoroughly enjoy shooting with it. The Hasselblad also has a better colour rendition than the Canon camera as it has a larger sensor- which is more appropriate for my theme 'colour'.
Picking and choosing my models will be quite easy for me as intend to work with people close to me such as my family and friends as I feel like it will contrast well with the theme of colour – relating to thoughts and emotions.
Relating to research I will e-mail various photographers who work predominantly using colour, to get a better insight into the way they work as well as reading books and researching various photographers who have inspired me to go ahead with this chosen brief.
I feel the importance of experimentation is extremely necessary to develop my skills as a photographer and also as it is my first own self-initiated brief I have set myself in University.       

No comments:

Post a Comment