Friday 17 January 2014

Irving Penn

Irving Penn created some stunning portraits both fashion and natural. I found out some quite interesting information about Irving Penn whilst researching into portraiture, I find it quite cool that he originally wanted to be a painter, however, after a job in Vogue he began taking photographs - although to me you can still see his artistic talents within his portraits, as the are very close-up and intimate almost like a close-up painting. 
I love his use of dark backdrops in each photograph, as you can see it really enhances the subjects faces, and allows the models to be the central focus in each photograph.
This is why I want to use a plain brick wall, or a one-tone background, as I've realised it makes so much difference to the portrait and allows the model's face and features to be striking to the viewers.




No comments:

Post a Comment