Saturday 4 January 2014

David Bailey

David Bailey is well known world wide for his photography style and also the sheer fame from many of his models. Although he is not my favourite photographer his photographs certainly portray an atmosphere. His distinct portraits all shot in black and white create a dramatic effect in terms of the contrast. 
This famous photograph of Jack Nicholson creates a dramatic mood because of several different reasons. Personally I feel that one reason is because of the expression on his face, which is very strained and could also be humorous. Also the contrast of the image and shadows creates shadows making my eyes dart from all areas of his face. This is what I hope to portray within my own photographs, I want the viewers to feel some sort of emotion or mood towards the image.

This photograph of the beautiful Jean Shrimpton in her younger days really caught my eye. I love her position and the way her eyes are starting into the distance, makes me feel as if she is deep in thought about something - This is what I like mainly about the photograph. The portrait to me is more of a fashion portrait, mainly because of her popularity at the time and the fact many girls idolised her. The photograph is really flawless which is beautiful to look at however in my portraits I would prefer to create more of a gritty effect, so that you can see wrinkles and imperfections etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment