Friday 14 March 2014

Looks- Fergus Greer, Leigh Bowery




I took a variety of books from the library, some I liked and some I didn't like the look of. I think it is important to look into many different styles and genres of Photo Books to get further into the subject and explore all realms of it.
I come across a book called 'Looks' by Fergus Greer and Leigh Bowery which I didn't particularly like, because of the images inside the book - I found them a bit bizarre although I can still appreciate the work and effort put into the book. Also the style of the book is quite different, in terms of the layout - even the front cover portrays a great insight to what the images are going to be about. I want to portray this within my book - I want the viewer not to have a whole idea of expectations as to what is in the book, but a slight idea as to what the book is going to include just by looking at the title and image on the front.
The famous saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover' has connotations of people presuming what is inside the book or what the book is going to be about. However, I think in the photographic world of books many books can be judged by the viewer - In terms of that the viewer may not like the front image on the book or even title and therefore will not take an interest. I am bearing this in mind whilst planning my own front cover as I want it to speak out and make the viewer have an eager and open mind to see whats inside.

Below are some of the images found inside the book 'Looks'..



This is the image shown on the front cover of 'Looks'.. although I don't particularly like this photograph, I was drawn to read the book. The image creates a sense of dehumanisation- as the figures head has been covered with round shaped material covering the persons head. This creates quite a dramatic mood as it is unusual to see some one dressed in this attire and makes you question why the photographer has created this style to his work.



No comments:

Post a Comment