Friday 17 April 2015

EVALUATION

During the first few Professional studies lessons, I felt quite unsure as to what I will be doing within the Photography realm when I finish University. To be honest I'm still not fully sure as to what path within Photography I would like to take.
However, throughout more lessons I began to realize what it actually takes to become a Professional photographer, in regards to setting up my own business. Or even having the materials to begin something within photography as a professional.
Throughout the module I have understood the key aspects of marketing and self-promotion. Although I may not be a professional yet, I feel more confidence in terms of setting my goals and knowing which directions to take.
Throughout the professional studies lessons I have learnt as an individual how to create business cards, CV, artist statement, compliment letter, letterheads, a website and much more. This has enabled me to gain confidence in regards to feeling more reassured as to what is needed when I leave university and face the real world alone.
The most difficult part of the module for me was working out and realizing what goes into the costing of work. I struggled quite a lot to put a price on my own work and work out suitable costs that I could afford for materials, which in the long run I would be able to benefit from.
However,
the lessons allowed me to understand the key principles and issues surrounding pricing work. Also knowing if the print for example is a 'reasonable' price or overpriced depending on how much input you have made.
I learnt that the pricing of work in photography ALWAYS has to be considered as 'fair' to the client/customer.
It’s all about understanding what leads to a profit margin, which is basically understanding and fulfilling the cost and value of your service.
Selling work as a University student can be difficult, as to start any business you must spend money to gain something back. By this I mean depending on what sort of photography you intend to specialize in you will need different equipment.
The costs, which we discussed as a class, were: camera equipment, fuel/travel, and public liability, insurance for equipment, computer programs.
Although a lot of money will be spent to go into the business, as a class we came to realize that over time the business you have created will make the money back, if it spent correctly and the job is done to the satisfaction of the buyer.

The most enjoyable part of the course for me personally was creating my own business cards, as a person it made me feel like I was achieving something. The cards represent my as a person, holding my contact information as a photographer and therefore allowing the outside world to contact me or even take an interest. Professional studies have taught me, as a person that time management is one of the key aspects to keeping everything timely and relevant. By this I mean that now I have created a collection of working documents that can be continually updated throughout my professional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment