Friday 17 April 2015

Artist Statement

During Professional studies we looked at various artist statements to get an insight when it comes to doing our own. Richard explained that a good statement dos not explain the work as that would be the other extreme. The statement should reflect the emotional qualities of your work that shows your own personal involvement. For example if my own was conceptual I would have to explain the concept. It is important to keep the reader interested and therefore make connections explicit about the connections with my own space and the space we all share.
Below was my attempt at writing my own personal artist statement:

New york was the location where I realised which Career path I wanted to pursue. I have created professional photographs in studios, within the darkroom and also weddings.
My true passion for photography is deeply rooted in taking images outdoors, whether it’s in the heart of the countryside or in busy cities.
My personal emotional passion/attachment began when I travelled to my Hostel in New York by taxi. I instantly wanted to document this new environment. The Architecture and sheer size of the monuments and buildings are so overwhelming and fascinating to me.

I have since taken thousands of outdoor images in England, Scotland, Italy, Spain, Holland, Germany and France. One of the projects that I had to undertake at University was to create a photo book, which I named ‘A Journey’. Developing this book was like a reflection of how I was feeling during the making of it. It reminds me of a roller coaster, in slow motion passing through tunnels, whizzing down banks, swaying left, then right, being scared, then laughing.

In fact the whole array of emotions, which I hope, the viewers can experience when they look at my images. Every time I re-visit this book it takes me back to that particular moment through all the happiness and sadness in fleeting moments captured visually on camera. This is the power of photography in invoking real feelings and this is why I chose photography as a pathway to my future career.  

No comments:

Post a Comment